Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Pet Peeve

The GF pointed out to me that I always harp on her about getting anal about songs and artists that she finds annoying and stupid, such as Lady Gaga and Kesha. But what she pointed out to me was that I get just as anal about stupid misspellings of names. I didn't realize my true hatred until she pointed out that comparison. I'm talking about "Anakin killing Tusken Raiders" type of hate. It just occurred to me that I told the roommate that I was going to start calling girls named "Elisabeth," "E-lie-za-beth." I'm really picky and anal about it. The only name alteration I like is Jacen and that is Han freakin' Solo's son. I don't know what it is. It's almost like people using text language and spelling in a facebook status update that they posted through facebook and not through their phone. Something such as, "sittn at the apt bored outa my mind....what to do, what to do???" I don't understand this, but that is for another post and time. The name that started this whole rant was Lawryn. It's like some Southern belle named her phonetically for how she said her name. I think I will list the ones that annoy me most.

Ashleigh
Meghan
Kayleigh
Ayden/Aaden (I also hate this name, in principle.)
Nevaeh (spelling Heaven backwards doesn't make it a good name.)
Rylie
Arron
Jinger
Johannah
Jordyn
Rachelle
Mackynzie
Madelyn
Cara
Collin
Khloe
Kristina
Khristina
Rhian
Brice
Sofiya
Jadan/Jayden/Jaeden
Kourtney

...and these are just a few. I just think that if you need your baby to be unique, give them a pencil and tell them to draw or write or design something. Don't handicap them with an uneducated spelling of their name. Giving them an individualistic name will not help them in any way except getting teased more frequently in elementary and middle school.

Stepping down from the soap box in 3.....2......1.....off

4 comments:

  1. Lol. I love you, baby, but you do realize I have TWO incorrect spellings in my name, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. half the names you used were from Jon and Kate and The Duggars. Are you sure it's not just because you don't like them?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and the Kardashian's i forgot about those. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hate them, but they have crappy names so win-win for me!

    ReplyDelete